Monday, September 9, 2013

The Way Back Machine

There is nothing quite so melancholy as going through your parents possessions after they have died. I have a hundred years of photos back to the 1890's to sort through. Here is my maternal great grandmother Josephine, a woman I never met. The photo is completely out of context to the mental impressions I have of her from tales my mother told. My mother's grandmother was born and bred in Brooklyn, N.Y. The only photos I had seen of her before this one were her wedding photo and a few snapshots taken in her Bay Ridge flat in the early 1940's. This photo is also likely from the 40's. But what is she doing on a farm with a cow?! I know the photo was taken by her son, my grandfather. He loved Sunday drives in the country. I suspect the photo was taken on one of those drives through rural Connecticut.

No comments:

Post a Comment