Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Middle Patuxent Environmental Area - Mystery Car in the Woods


There is a car in the woods at the MPEA in Howard County, MD. Very much out of place now, but probably disposed of when the land was privately held and before it became an environmental property managed mostly for the benefit of various bird species and especially the woodcock. I met several birders on my hike there yesterday. Very nice and informative people. I also found my camera woefully inadequate for capturing small hyperactive birds. But I love a mystery. So I set out to identify the year, make and model of the abandoned auto hulk. Because all identifying markers, lettering or medallions, were gone, I focused on the bumpers and grilles of late 1950s and early 1960s, all American made of course, before the flood of foreign imports. Nobody made chrome bumpers and grilles like American car manufacturers in the 50s and 60s. The distinctive two over two headlights and turn signal sockets and the four hash marks on the fenders behind the headlights were the key markers I looked for, along with the beginning of the horizontal fin on the rear fender.  So here it is: the lovely 1958 Chevrolet Impala. I think I even found the right color. This photo I found here on an internet search. It is not one of my photos.

No comments:

Post a Comment