Sunday, July 21, 2013

Geologizing

The Prospector's Dilema



The second leg of this morning's hike in Leakin Park, the leg south of Windsor Mill Road on the east side of the Gwynn's Falls was a prospecting expedition. I was looking for an outcrop of schist rock studded with garnets, which I heard about at a presentation I attended a few weeks ago. My mission was an epic geological fail. Ok, not epic. I found outcrops, but did not see or recognize any garnets, I am not even sure if the outcrops were schist or some other kind of rock, such as gneiss or granite or a combination of the three. So, like many prospectors before me, I know that there are garnets (undoubtedly industrial grade, so don't get all excited) in them thar hills, but I could not find them. Or worse, I found them, but did not recognized them. This calls for a return trip with my rock guru, Ira, preferably in the late fall, when the leaves are off the trees and vines that cover a lot of the rocks. My experience is that when looking for structures (natural or man made) in a forest, I am more likely to find them in winter when the trees and vines are bare. There are more photos of the rocks I saw here.

p.s. Unpon review of the photos, Ira said I was in the schist, but agreed that closer inspection should wait until the end of fall when the rocks are clear of leaves.

No comments:

Post a Comment